A few months ago, I experienced the discomfort of bronchitis and a severe sore throat. TO my relief, a nutritionist friend came to my aid with a homemade remedy taut not only alleviated my symptoms almost immediately but also became a true true life-saver. Since then, I’ve made it a practice to prepare and share this natural concoction with friends and family whenever they fall ill, avoiding the need for chemical-laden cough syrups from the drug store.
Step 1: Ingredients and Supplies
- A small mixing bowl
- A container for the final product
- A mixing spoon
- Honey (preferably (preferably Manuka honey): A study conducted at Penn State College of Medicine found that honey can be more effective in treating a cough than over-the-counter drugs. Its soothing properties help coat and calm irritated membranes.
- Ginger (fresh or ground): The inclusion of spicy ginger acts as an expectorant, aiding in the loosening and expulsion of mucus from the lungs.
- Pepper: Known for its efficacy in relieving chest congestion and mucus, pepper is an excellent addition to combat coughs.
- Thyme (fresh or ground): Apart from possessing antimicrobial properties, thyme also relaxes the muscles of the trachea and bronchi, facilitating the opening of airways.
Step 2: Mixing
- Mix 8 tablespoons of honey with 3 tablespoons of warm tap water.
- Add 1.5 teaspoons each of thyme, pepper, and ginger to the mixture.
- Whisk the ingredients briskly for about two minutes or untill the texture becomes even and consistent.
The resulting mixture can stay good for several weeks when stored in a cool, dry location and a well-sealed container. The quantity provided above should last a few days, and you can easily make another batch if needed.
NOTE: Despite initial reservations about its taste, I have come to enjoy the spicy combination of ginger with the sweetness of honey. While you might not be chugging this by the gallon, adding a few squeezes of lemon can enhance the taste if flavor is a significant concern.
Step 3: Finished
Congratulations! You have now completed the preparation of this soothing concoction. Brighten someone’s day by sharing it with a sick family member or friend, or simply indulge in its benefits for yourself.
I recommend consuming 3-5 teaspoons a day, but feel free to adjust the quantity based on youre needs. Stay healthy and enjoy the natural goodness of this homemade remedy!